Monday 24 September 2007

The Saddest Platform

Tired Irie/Rotary Ten @ The Charlotte, Leicester 8/9
Nathaniel Green/The Little Explorer/This Ain't Vegas/Spy Versus Spy @ The Cricketers Arms, Sheffield 9/9
Heart Yeah/Fury Of The Headteachers/So So Modern @ Corporation, Sheffield 12/9
Gossamer Albatross/Wow! She Must Be A Hundred Feet Tall/Napoleon IIIrd @ The Raynor Lounge, Sheffield 28/9

I've been avoiding updating this here blog for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure why - given that the Spy Versus Spy gig I went to was probably the best gig I've been to, you'd think I'd have some interesting things to write. But I don't. I'm literally without speech.

I thought about writing about "puzzle pop" which is a new genre the NME has invented. As far as I can see, it's code for bands what sound a bit like Battles or are a bit math-rock and have lots of equipment. So that's So So Modern (Time signatures + Devo + lots of keyboards), Tired Irie (Battles + expensive equipment - good ideas) and Foals (Battles + aluminium necked guitar + "American Don").

My other thought was to write about Spy Versus Spy being brilliant and a discussion on finger pointing and emo mosh. But I'm not going to. This is turning out to be a bad blog. My only excuse is that I'm ill. Which I am.

I shall finish with a request: if anyone reads this and plays the drum, email me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

expensive!? you're having a laugh. most of it is from ebay or third hand.

we'd love to bitch on the internet some more but we're too busy trying to think up good song ideas.

Gregory said...

David,

discussion of the masculine hardcore-Unity fingerpointing and emo-mosh is a must.

I must admit, I don't envy you having seen all these bands.

I've been out of the performance loop recently, so haven't seen anything for ages. I'm coming back though.