Friday 23 February 2007

You're Pretty Good With Words But Words Won't Save Your Life

The Hold Steady @ The Leadmill 21/02

My plan was to try and write a "proper" review of this gig but I couldn't think of anything and I'm not a great writer. So instead I shall provide a series of bullet points:

1. Gigs at the leadmill have to be done by 10 for the club nights so by the time I got there and got a drink at the bar (which took 15 minutes I might add) the supports were all done and The Hold Steady were about due on imminently. Which was nice.

2. Despite it being an over-14s gig, I was one of the youngest there. I did not know middle aged people read Pitchfork.

3. Craig Finn is a very good front man. Lots of off mic shouting; if this were a proper review I would probably say "he spat the lyrics out with passion" or something similarly pretentious and equally rubbish.

4. Craig Finn looks a lot like George Costanza.

5. The Hold Steady do sound a lot like Bruce Springsteen. But in a good way.

6. They drink a lot. I guess this is to be expected when you're America's best bar rock 'n' roll band.

7. They finished by inviting people on stage for a dance. Good finish.


And with that I'm done. Fascinating, I'm sure you'll agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lads on tour eh?

whats the verdict on kubichek then. I'm going to give it an 8. or maybe a 7.7 if im being pitchfork accurate.